Rural Development

Obtaining planning permission can provide you with that dream home in the countryside or maybe the way of life you have always dreamt of. 

It can also bring about significant gains and help to maximise the value of your rural property. However, development in the countryside is subject to strict planning controls which can make obtaining planning permission very difficult.

Key Contact

Since 2014 the government has introduced a range of permitted development rights to support the re-use of agricultural buildings and land within their curtilage. These permitted development rights are set out in the General Permitted Development Order (GPDO) as follows:

  • Conversion of agricultural buildings to dwellings – (Class Q of the GPDO);
  • Conversion of agricultural buildings to a “flexible use” – (Class R of the GPDO); and
  • Conversion of agricultural buildings to educational uses – (Class S of the GPDO).

However, all of the above are subject to conditions and restrictions which it is vital to be aware of when considering your options. Class Q, in particular, is very complex but we have lots of experience in this area. We can provide you with expert advice on issues to be taken into account prior to submission of your application through to receiving the decision.

Whatever your aim, we can help

We have vast experience of working on rural projects for homeowners, landowners and farmers in rural areas including:

If you have any questions about a rural planning project please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Rural development projects

A selection of Rural development projects

Wakebridge Farm

Mixed Use Development including a New Sheep Dairy Enterprise with Creamery, Hotel Restaurant and Bar at Historic Derbyshire Farm